The City of Richmond Hill has approved the re-opening of Ed Sackfield Arena as of Tuesday, August 4, 2020. Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, YRSA is offering ticket ice for competitive skaters. Priority is given to YRSA members.
YRSA continues to work with Skate Ontario regarding protocols for restarting CanSkate programs. This will be challenging as physical distancing must be followed at all times. YRSA is offering one Fall 2020 CanSkate program for skaters who are currently working on CanSkate Stage 2 or higher. Details are available on our CanSkate page.
The YRSA Office is closed. Please contact us via email at email@example.com
2020 Fall Schedule
YRSA 2020 Fall CanSkate Information
With school and recreational programs returning in the 2020 Fall season, the York Region Skating Academy is offering an altered CanSkate and StarSkate program to include safe COVID-19 measures. These measures will include protocol enforced by both the municipality and by Skate Ontario.
At this time, we will be resuming the CanSkate program for CanSkate stages 2 and higher (by recommendation of Skate Ontario). Independent stage 1 skaters will also be permitted to register – this means they must be able to skate without any hands-on assistance.
If you register a child who must be withdrawn for not meeting these requirements, a $25 admin fee will be charged.
Changes to the Program
- All instruction will be hands-off as per Skate Ontario guidelines
- Skaters MUST be able to skate independently and follow instruction
- Decreased number of skaters per session(Maximum: 20 skaters/session)
- Lower coach to skater ratio! – 1 coach : 5 skaters maximum
- Altered lesson delivery to ensure distancing between skaters
- Altered play time activity to reduce exposure to high touch surfaces
- Stickers will not be given out on the session
Additional Safety Measures
Further detailed in our Protocol document
- All individuals MUST wear a mask when entering the facility – skaters may only remove masks/face coverings when on the ice surface
- No use of change rooms/washrooms as per facility guidelines– skaters must come prepared to step on the ice and remain on ice surface for duration of the session
- ALL coaches and skaters will complete a health screening questionnaire for every session attended (verbally or written)
- All equipment and teaching aides will be non-porous and sanitized after every session – teaching aides will be minimized during this time
- Recommended physical distancing between coaches and skaters will be maintained as much as possible on the ice
Lessons are on an Olympic sized ice pad at Ed Sackfield Arena (311 Valleymede Drive, Richmond Hill). The club is dedicated to promote and develop skating in the York Region's Richmond Hill and surrounding areas.
Sanctioned by Skate Canada - all skaters are registered with Skate Canada. The annual membership fee includes insurance coverage for the Skating Season (September 1, 2020 to August 31, 2021). This fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Instructions are provided by NCCP certified coaches - all are members of Skate Canada.